As Little Owls is a charitable organisation and run by a Management Committee, the support of the parents and the local community is paramount. There are plenty of ways to get involved both with fundraising and helping within the nursery setting. If you would like to make a donation to Little Owls, please click on the link below, and thank you!
How do parents get involved in the setting ?
We recognise parents as the first and most important educators of their children. All of the staff see themselves as partners with parents in providing care and education for their child. There are many ways in which parents take part in making the setting a welcoming and stimulating place for children and parents, such as:
- exchanging knowledge about their children’s needs, activities, interests and progress with the staff.
- helping at sessions of the setting;
- sharing particular skills or knowledge. For example, recently, parents have visited the setting to play the clarinet for the children, show pictures of the local carnival held in their neighbourhood, and show the children their collection of shells;
- helping to provide, make and look after the equipment and materials used in the children’s play activities, for example parents and members of the community have recently got involved in moving our gate, cleaning and preparing the garden; installing our new fence; and constructing and putting up a new sandpit in the garden;
- being part of the Management Committee;
- taking part in events and informal discussions about the activities and curriculum provided by the setting;
- joining in community activities in which the setting takes part;
- organising and supporting fundraising events (see our events page for more details); and
- building friendships with other parents in the setting.
We welcome parents to drop into the setting to see it at work or to speak with the staff.